provides tools for locking and unlocking documents to prevent unwanted changes. A password-protected file can be locked. Without the correct password, a locked file cannot be opened, so choose a password you won’t forget. In Microsoft Word, you can also lock a subdocument, field, or form so that it cannot be changed, and then unlock it when you’re ready to make changes. Learn more
Unlocking Files That Have Been Password-Protected:
- Go to Microsoft Word and open the password-protected file you want to unlock. You will be prompted to enter your password.
- Re-save the file without password protection to unlock it. Select “File” and then “Save As.” Then select “Tools” from the “Save As” dialogue box’s top area.
- Remove the password from the “Password to Open” and “Password to Modify” text boxes by selecting “Security Options.” To close the “Security” dialogue box, click “OK.”
- To re-save the document, press “Save.” The file will be made publicly available.
- In Word, open the master document that includes all of your subdocuments.
- To manage the subdocuments, select “View” and “Outline” from the toolbar. The toolbar for “Outlining” will appear.
- Click the “Expand Subdocuments” button in the “Outlining” toolbar to expand the subdocuments.
- To unlock a subdocument, navigate to it and pick the “Lock Document” button from the toolbar.
- Open the document with the locked field in it.
- To unlock a field, move your cursor over it.
- To unlock the field, press the “Ctrl+SHIFT+F11” buttons on your keyboard.
- In Word, open the document that contains the locked form.
- Select “Forms” from the toolbar (“View,” “Toolbars” and “Customize”). Check “Forms” under the “Toolbars” tab. Then press the “Close” button.
- Select the form on your page to unlock it. In the “Forms” toolbar, click the “Protect Form” button. To make the “Protect Form” button visible, enlarge the toolbar by clicking on the arrow beside it. Then select “Add or Remove Buttons,” “Forms,” and “Protect Form” from the drop-down menus.
Author: Olivia Smith is a Microsoft Office expert and a full time blogger with 5 years of experience in the technology industry. She has written technical blogs, white papers, and reviews for a variety of websites, including .